If you browse the relevant online shops and look for games like Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty or Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, you might be disappointed. The digital versions of these two titles have disappeared as of today (November 8, 2021) – at least temporarily.
Konami provides the appropriate explanation on the official website. Accordingly, expired licenses are the trigger for this decision on the part of the publisher. The licenses cover various historical recordings that can be seen in the two games. Konami must therefore first take care of their extension before a comeback of the digital versions can be prepared. How long this will take is not yet known.
This temporary “end” of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater also affects all compilations and special editions that contain both games. Here is an overview:
- PlayStation 3 Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty HD Edition
- PlayStation 3 Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater HD Edition
- PlayStation 3 Metal Gear Solid HD Edition
- PlayStation Vita Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty HD Edition
- PlayStation Vita Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater HD Edition
- PlayStation Vita Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
- PlayStation Now Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
- Xbox 360 Metal Gear Solid HD Edition: 2 & 3
- Nintendo 3DS Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D
- GOG.com Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
- NVIDIA SHIELD Metal Gear Solid 2 HD for Shield TV