The Sniper Elite series has been able to secure a steadily growing fan base since its premiere in 2005. And the Rebellion team in charge has very good news for them: With Sniper Elite 5, the next part in the series is to be released in the course of next year.
This time the marksman made it to France, where he supported the resistance towards the end of World War II to stop the mysterious Operation Kraken. The maps you travel on are said to be the largest and most realistic in the series’ history and are based on real-world locations. Mechanically, in addition to the well-known sneak and sniper elements (of course, including the infamous “kill cam”), a new so-called “mobility system” is used. This should give you even more options to switch off your goals. When the going gets tough, you can try to take out the high-ranking Nazi officers in co-op mode.
In addition to a feature list, Rebellion has also released a first trailer that only used material from the game engine.
- Extensive Campaign – The real locations were captured by photogrammetry to create a lively, immersive environment. Multiple infiltration and extraction points, as well as targets on the kill list, offer a completely new perspective on each mission. Players can tackle the Nazi conspiracy alone or with a partner. The improved co-op mechanics allow them to share ammunition and items, give orders and treat each other.
- Improved weapon physics and movement options – Players can use ziplines to slide down slopes quickly and scramble along ledges for the perfect vantage point or sneak past a keen lookout. Players must carefully consider the rifle stock and barrel options, as well as gravity, wind, and heart rate while aiming the target.
- Large Caliber Customization Capabilities – Workbenches allow players to customize and upgrade almost every aspect of their weapon. Riflescopes, stocks, barrels, magazines and more can be exchanged. A multitude of options are available for rifles, secondary weapons and pistols. In addition, the ammunition can be selected to match the objective of the mission – from non-lethal to armor-piercing, there is the right caliber for every use.
- Drop-In PvP Invasion Mode – The new multiplayer mode allows you to penetrate another player’s campaign as a sniper of the Axis powers and begin a deadly game of cat and mouse. This experience adds a new dimension of challenge, with players having to carefully stalk their prey. Alternatively, it is also possible to call a second sniper to help as Karl, who is at your side in a dicey situation.
- Exciting multiplayer mode – your own character and equipment can be customized here. Your own sniper skills are put to the test in intense 16-player battles. Experience points, medals and ribbons are rewarded. Those who prefer to go out in co-op can team up with up to three other players against waves of enemies in survival mode.
- Improved Kill Cam – More realistic and brutal than ever, the distinctive X-ray kill cam returns, revealing the true destructive power of every single hit. Projectiles are deflected from bones in unpredictable ways and then find a new path through enemy bodies. SMGs and pistols can also trigger kill cams, including multiple shots in dramatic slow motion.
Sniper Elite 5 will be released in 2022 for Xbox Game Pass, Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S and PlayStation 4 & 5, Epic, Steam and Windows Store.