On September 1, 2021, Dutch developer Gamious and publisher Whitethorn Digital released the idyllic country adventure Lake, which took you to a sleepy US town in the 1980s, for PC, Xbox One and Xbox Series X | S. The download via Microsoft Store, Epic Games Store and Steam, where a free demo is also available, costs 19.99 euros each. The previous user reviews on Valve’s download portal are “very positive”. Implementations for other platforms are to follow.
In the game description it says: “It’s September 1st, 1986. You take on the role of Meredith Weiss, who returns from the big city to her sleepy hometown at the age of forty. She takes a short break to represent her father, the local postman from her stressful job at a software company.
During the two weeks in beautiful Providence Oaks, Oregon, she meets a few familiar faces and lots of new people. In the role of Meredith, you can choose who to talk to, who to make friends with, and who you might even have a romantic relationship with. Whatever happens, after the two weeks Meredith will be spoiled for choice: does she want to go back to her demanding job in the big city or would she rather stay in her home town?
Play Lake and …
- … Allow yourself a break in a beautiful rural setting without cell phones and internet.
- … drive around the lake in your father’s reliable Postbus or let the autopilot drive you.
- … talk to a number of interesting characters, each with their own personalities and ticks.
- … decide how you spend the time after work: do you hang out with your friends, do you help your neighbors or do you stay at home and read a book?
- … experience a branching story in the two weeks of the season, which also deals with everyday topics.
- … determine your own story: There are no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answers or endings. You just influence what happens. “
Last current video: Story Trailer